Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 1: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest


One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest : 1975: Winner of the 48th Academy Awards 1976




Starring:


Jack Nicholson as Randle McMurphy
Louise Fletcher as Nurse Ratched
William Redfield as Dale Harding
Will Sampson as "Chief" Bromden
Brad Dourif as Billy Bibbit
Sydney Lassick as Charlie Cheswick
Danny DeVito as Martini
Christopher Lloyd as Max Taber
Dean R. Brooks as Dr. John Spivey
William Duell as Jim Sefelt
Vincent Schiavelli as Frederickson
Delos V. Smith as Scanlon
Michael Berryman as Ellis
Nathan George as Attendant Washington
Lan Fendors as Nurse Itsu
Mimi Sarkisian as Nurse Pilbow
Mews Small as Candy
Scatman Crothers as Orderly Turkle
Louisa Moritz as Rose

The movie is about Randall, a convicted man who is deemed deranged and mentally ill, as he tries to free himself and the other patients from the authoritarian rule of the bitchy evil head nurse. In the process he forms a bond and friendship with “Chief” a man who is deaf and dumb therefore mute. He tries to break all the prisoners free but his last romp and subsequent desire to flee go wrong and he gets punished for it. In the end however through his act of courage he inspires “Chief” to be as “big as a mountain” and he is free.
Ok, so I skipped a lot of the plot but trust me when I say there is no better way of watching a movie than not knowing what is going to happen. I had had this movie on my Netflix queue for a while now and never really wanted to watch it, even when my wifey said it was the shits. However now that I did I don’t regret it at all. It was everything I thought it would be and more. I was really sad when one of the prisoner’s comes back with a lobotomy, and it got me thinking that the human race is really cruel. Not like I didn’t know, it was just something else to see it captured on camera. I was so tearing up and in the end I was rooting for Chief to be free! Be free! I can now understand why it won an Oscar. It was a depiction of the institutionalization of the deranged and how unfairly they were mistreated. Very good film!

It also won awards for :
Best Director : Miloš Forman
Best Leading Actor: Jack Nichoson (does crazy good)
Best Leading  Actress: Louise Fletcher  (does angry bitch good)
Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

No comments:

Post a Comment