Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Corrections




The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen was my latest conquest in my literary frenzy. The book was well written and it was full of all the emotional bustle to keep you hungry for more. The novel was recommended to me by a friend, and she told me to read to it and insert myself in the post modern literary movement. instead of reading a fiction novel bursting at the seams with political babble and pushing other movements in my face while I am just trying to enjoy a novel. i was graciously relieved to find that it was more like a story about a family who in its weirdness come together to learn how to deal with each other for one last Christmas.
the plot is mainly the mother of the Lambert clan, trying to get her children all reunited for one last Christmas in St. Jude. Her three children are Gary: a manager and high paid investor at a bank in Philadelphia, Chip: A man who has been shamed by scandal and is trying to reorganize himself after a series of unsuccessful relationships and who gets himself into more trouble than he ought. Then there is Denise:Denise is a woman who apart from being like her father, level-headed and concentrated on work is confused about what and whom she wants. The story centers around Enid and Alfred the patriarch of the family. Enid is a woman who has lived with her seldom happy husband Alfred who is now learning to deal with Parkinson's. The novel follows each child in there own story of adulthood and we laugh and cry with them. The book took me about a week and half to read. I had a lot of distractions, anyway, the story is wonderful and it kind of reminds of Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Set in the sleepy suburb of St. Jude and with the intensive sense that you are a fly in the mind of the character you witness the rise and the fall. I loved this story, even though I complained about it. Even though it's kind of long its fun and worth the read.
...Bolingbroke...

No comments:

Post a Comment