Saturday, January 7, 2012

Drinking with Strangers by Butch Walker



In his new book Drinking with Strangers, Butch Walker manages to tell the untold story of what goes on beyond the smoke screen of music industry's biggest labels.  With a voice dripping with  brash honesty and sometimes bitter sarcasm he brings the reader into a world some of us would never otherwise know. Told from his perspective as a person who has lived and evolved through about three decades in the music business. From the glam hair bands of the late 80's to the bad goatees in the 90's all through to the punk emo bands of the millennium,  Butch goes through all those stages and develops into a successful singer/songwriter and  producer while still able to tour doing his thing and making great music.
Bolingbroke thinks: The book was a fun read, it made me laugh and it made me wonder what was the charisma about this guy. I read about this book from a blog of some artist who I randomly added on Google +. The guy was raving about Butch as a freaking genius, although i agree with him that Butch is obviously musically talented and way to smart to go back into a major record deal, I won't lie to you and tell you that he didn't also piss me the fuck off. He reminded me a lot of Robinson Crusoe, life is telling you not to do things and yet you do them anyway, come on you fucking masochist please just stop asking for torture (the Lindsay Lohan fiasco he totally asked for). As for the rest of the book I enjoyed because it was like stepping into the unknown world of rock stars, as an audience member (I am so not musically talented) it was fascinating to take a look beyond the glitz, the glam, and all the other Hollywood nonsense. BITCH PLEASE!: Read the book if your into music, you have to have to read this book, I kid you not there will be useful information and plenty of been there, done that lessons that might inspire something. I who understand nothing of musical jargon, felt inspired to write and sing something, but remembered I have a terrible voice so opted not too. End of story pick up a coffee and have YouTube on standby so you can hear Butch's stuff.. oh and side-note, "Cigarette Lighter Love Song" love it. "Tainted Angel " well check it for yourself.
...Bolingbroke...

No comments:

Post a Comment